Pages

Thursday 15 November 2012

My Pre-Wedding Bridal Package- Seletar Broadway Review

A Lesson For All Brides
My pre-wedding bridal photography package from Seletar Broadway @AMK (ang mo kio) itself costs S$3288, and after the GST of 7%, it comes up to:
 S$3518.16.

If I had gotten married a year later, I would be able to buy one of their packages from groupon selling for as low as $128.

I had signed up for the package at their roadshow at Suntec City.
They were really the Hard Sales kind. Super friendly & accommodating until after I have signed up with them for an un-refundable package.

Unfortunately, it was my first time and I was not prepared with enough research done for bargaining. Did suffered quite a bit here.

An interesting picture from their groupon advertisement.

There are lots of hidden costs and traps in the package. Also, because they are very experienced in sales, (they have entire team of mongers dedicated just for selling their packages), these sales aunty/uncles are able to rebut and defuse all doubts I have regarding the package, finally making me surrender my $$ willingly.

Most of us only get one chance to plan for our one wedding. So I am disappointed that in the market now, there are almost no bridal businesses which offer comprehensive packages to the to-be-wedded couples.

My advice: Please give yourselves lots of time and research, research and research by going to several roadshows and bargaining with them. At the same time, start planning how you want your pre-wedding photo shoot to be like (I will talk about this later) and how you want your actual day to be like (this is very important because though this is a pre-wedding package, the gowns, the Kua, make up artist, flowers, car & car-deco are also used for the actual day).

Having said all this, signing up with Seletar Broadway was not an ALL-BAD choice.
Compared to the high-end bridal boutiques at Tanjong Pagar, Seletar Broadway is a neighbourhood shop which offers relatively cheaper packages, and amidst the old fashioned wedding gowns, limited evening gowns & man's coat, with hard work, you will be able to pull off a normal but proper wedding. 

And now, introducing My Pre-Wedding Bridal Package:


Original Package --------------------After Bargain
1 Bridal Gown (can choose) --------Can MTM but NO full lace
2 Gent's Coat
1 white shirt custom made
1 trousers custom made
1 Evening Gown (can choose) ------Can MTM but NO full lace
Bridal Bouquet (any flower in season)MTM only if 5 months
from wedding date
Car-Decoration (1 bridal & unlimited following)
Bridal car with driver ---------------
(E200 model, 7am till dinner end,
service couple only)
can exchange for
4 poses in 15R or
less $200
Bridal Makeup (Trial, Day, Night)
Indoor & outdoor photoshoot with eyelashes
in/out photography can be 2 separate days FOC
with 3 outdor locations till 7pm
Indoor
1 wedding gown
1 evening gown
2 traditional
Outdoor
1 pc short dress (second hand)
1 pc wedding gown (second hand)
Fresh flower for indoor studio photo-taking
Head flowers, gloves, necklaces, earrings
10 pages, 30 poses, ----------------
15"x24" cross page pvc + CD
12 pages, 36 poses
1 20"x24" canvas -------------------
w/frame or 3in1 photo
can exchange for 4 poses 
in 15R or less $150
1 10"12" photo ---------------------
w/frame tabletop
can exchange for 2 poses 
in 15R or less $80
FOC -------------------------------Actual day additionals:
1 pc tea dress Kua /
2nd Evening Gown
2pcs coats for fathers
1pc guest book
30poses 8R album
20poses 3smini album

Additional poses at $70 each ==> after GST: $74.9, 3 poses ==> 1 new page

Actual Day Car if come before 7am ==> $30 per hour
Actual Day Make up if come before 7am ==> $30 per hour


Above, I have posted the same table 3 times just so we will be able to differentiate between the original and after-bargain package.

One VERY IMPORTANT thing I did not check before signing up for the Seletar Broadway package was if the offered price of S$3288 is inclusive of GST. At many bridal roadshow [that I went later on], the price written is inclusive of GST. But as my bf and I were not smart enough to ask before hand, we had to pay an additional 7% which amounts to S$230.16. I am not being calculative here but if I am paying for something, it better be worth the money. 

Another VERY IMPORTANT thing I did not check was in the event that I am not satisfied with their service, and choose to cancel the contract, how much the cancellation fees was. And if the package was refundable. So yes, silly me did not check and only found out later, on the contract (the first picture above) that all $$ given to them is un-refundable.

So those were the important lessons Seletar Broadway Studio taught me from the start.

With that aside, I started doing the one thing all brides look forward to --- choosing that perfect wedding gown!
For every wedding, for every bride, the wedding gown should be the most important criteria in choosing the bridal studio.

As I signed up for the package at Suntec city, I was unable to view most of the gowns to determine their standard (for instance, if the styles were up to date). I was also unable to try out the gowns to see which cutting flatters me. When my bf told the sales person about me not being convinced about their OTR (off the rack) gowns quality and variety, she offered 2 actual day MTM (made to measured) gown of any style I want (1 white wedding gown, and 1 evening dress) with the condition that the dresses cannot be full lace and that a period of 5 months has to be given for the gowns to be made.

So you can always use that argument when signing up during a roadshow. But even with MTM gowns being part of the package, more problems can arise from getting that gown you desire as I will explain later.

My first trip to Seletar Broadway was a waste of time. I called them to make an appointment one week after signing up with them and went down. When I got there, there were also other couples and the only 2 xiao-jies (shop attendants who help to get the gowns) were fully occupied. When I told them that I have an appointment, they apologised and suggested for me to come another time as their dress catalogs were also unavailable. Apparently, there was another roadshow and the sales mongers have brought all the catalogs with them. My bf and I were very surprised as we have signed up for the package at Suntec City after been told by the sales person that it was the last day of the roadshow.

And also, I was not happy that I had to travel from Jurong all the way to Ang Mo Kio only to make a wasted trip.

To cut the story short, I went down 2 more times for gown selection. During my first gown selection, the gowns they showed looked decent. But as my parents were not satisfied with the evening gown, I brought my parents down for a second selection. This time, MQ (a senior shop attendant) was there and she started bringing out really worn out looking evening gowns. Also, though I have selected around 10 gowns from the catalog, she only brought out a few for me to try on. When I questioned her, she told me that the rest of the gowns were already chosen by other customers. 

Since during my first gown selection, I have prepared printed copies of gowns I liked [from the internet] in case I decide to opt for MTM if a similar OTR was unavailable. So during the second selection, I took the pictures out to show MQ what my parents and I prefer. However, she cited not having similar material & the possibility of MTM not flattering to my figure after it is made, as excuses to force me into opting for OTR.

Hence, after the second selection, I had no choice but to settle with a worn out, old-fashioned, unflattering evening gown. Since MQ discouraged me from doing a brand new MTM gown, I asked if she could remove the sequins on the old evening gown and also to cover up the strings on the back. She refused to remove the sequins but reluctantly agreed to cover up the back of the gown.
There were also problems with the white wedding gown but less severe.

A few sleepless nights passed. As I could no longer imagine wearing that old red gown on my wedding day, I gave Seletar Broadway a call and told MQ that if she has so many reasons to refuse to make me a new MTM gown, I have no choice but to go to the police. I told her that, according to the contract, I am sold 2 MTM gowns. If she was doing her job, her job should be to assist me in getting my MTM gowns done, she should be giving constructive suggestions to make my MTM gowns. But all she has been saying all these time was how difficult and impossible the MTM gown is. I told her that she can tell the police that she is selling MTM gowns when she has no suitable material & no confidence in making proper gowns that can fit a bride. Even with that argument, she shamelessly says that the shop has been accommodating to me by letting me select the gowns twice while other customers can only choose once. To that, I simply said that even if she allowed me to choose a million times, I will never be able to find a decent gown in that shop.

With that, she succumbed to my request for MTM gown.
But just in case things did not work out, I actually went to CASE (Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE)) and prepared some paper work to protect myself.

At that point of time, I have already paid $1500 of the $3288, which is $1605 after GST.

This is the letter CASE prepared for me to deliver to Seletar Broadway Studio.



I am glad that they made a new piece of evening gown for me without me having to use this letter.

So, another important lesson learnt is that just because the contract states MTM, it does not mean that you will get a brand new gown. A lot of effort goes into arguing with the shop attendants.

And by the way, there is only one changing area downstairs for the gown selection. So if there are other couples also choosing gowns, there is NO PRIVACY! Do not expect yourself to be treated like a princess.

With the wedding gown and evening gown both settled, they prepared me for the outdoor photo shoot.
My trial makeup was with MUA (make up artist) H. I have read good reviews about her skills online hence I was very excited. However, my parents were not impressed and I feel that she can be improved. But because I was too drained out from all the arguments with the shop attendant over my gowns, I was too tired to argue with the MUA or to request for another trial with another MUA. Also, one thing made me very unhappy. H was very impatient. She also did not listen to my opinion and seems very proud.

I know that there are at least 2 other MUA there. One called Ivy and another called Betty.

Nonetheless, I ended up using H and even requested for her to follow during the outdoor photo shoot. She charges S$180 for that. She also charges S$25 per ampule which she uses for all make up except trial. She also applies for the groom and hence it totals up to S$50 per makeup session with her. Speaking of hidden charges!

To make my experience with Seletar Broadway Studio even worse, on the day before my photoshoot, they called me up to tell me that H cannot follow for the outdoor photoshoot. I was very surprised as I check with H before choosing the date for the outdoor shoot. I even had two more MTM gowns for the outdoor shoot so I really needed a Make-up-artist to follow. MQ said that if I really wanted a MUA, she can arrange for another one, which I agreed. 

On the day of my outdoor photoshoot, H did my make up before the outdoor photoshoot. I waited excitedly for my stand-in MUA. To my utter disappointment and disbelief, they introduced K, the photographer's assistant from my indoor photoshoot, as my stand-in MUA. The first thought that came into my mind was that MQ and Seletar Broadway are just too much to cheap my money like this. My head was shouting "Daylight Robbery!".

I really wanted to tell MQ right there that I know she is cheating me. I also know from other customers that some of them managed to bargain for a female photographer assistant to follow for free to help with the changing of gowns. Even today, I feel totally stupid and cheated by Seletar Broadway. To make things worse, MQ charged me 180 + 7% GST. Unbelievable!  
At that point, I could no longer control my anger, I told MQ that the $180 is between me and the MUA, originally H. I told MQ that it is a one-to-one agreement and not part of the contract with Seletar Broadway. That is exactly what I was told before signing up with Seletar Broadway. With that, MQ dared not charge me the GST.

And here is the proof that MQ altered my bill.

I mean. Can you believe it?
Seletar Broadway is a total Daylight Robbery!

And for $180, K followed and did some hairstyle changes for me during the outdoor photoshoot since that is what a real MUA is supposed to be doing. Later on, my hairstyles in the photos turn up to look really unprofessionally done. My parents commented on how poor H's skills are when in fact the hairstyles were done by K.

My actual day schedule with the make-up artist H was the worst experience.
Even before the actual day, for the indoor and outdoor pre-wedding photo taking, she charges my bf and I $25 for the ampoules per person per time. She will say that it will make the make up stay on nicer and longer. We could not reject her because we were worried that she might do a bad make up for us if we did not purchase her ampoules.

For the actual day, because my video, photo and car packages start at 7am, I requested for H to come at 6am. I requested on 6th November, exactly 2 months before my wedding.
H did not give a confirmation.


A week later, I still hear no news from H. Hence, I contacted her again on the pretense of asking her to stay back for make up for second walk-in. Her charges are $180 by the way for her to stay back for second walk-in. It is not included in my package because the sales person promoting the package to me originally told me that it can be discussed with the make up artist for her available. I was stupid enough then to think that there was no additional hidden cost involved.

H told me that she is unavailable for the second walk in. To make my pretense seems more real, I told her to arrange another MUA. After my experience with the pre-wedding photo shoot, where Seletar Broadway tricked me into paying a professional MUA price for a amature, H must have thought that I was stupid enough to request the amature for a second time.
Anyways, H still did not confirm if she could come my house at 6am.  


Only on 4th Dec, one month from my wedding did H says she can only make it at 4am.
Prior to that, I have called her and seletar broadway numerous times regarding the confirmation of the 6am slot. But it all fell on deaf ears.

4am? Does Seletar Broadway expect a bride to wake up that early on her wedding day?
In addition, I have to wait all dressed up, till 7 am, 3 hours later, for the groom to come!
This is totally unacceptable!

I called H and also Seletar Broadway for alternate arrangements. but it again fell on deaf ears. Hence, I had no choice but to do make up at 4 am on my wedding day. I was furious inside but I still had to pretend to be nice and good to H because I was worried that she will do a bad job for my wedding.


My fake request for the MUA for second walk-in showed me just how scheming H was. She does not want me to have the contact too early because she was afraid that I will check up on the stand in MUA and ask for trial make up. So she only allowed me to have the contact when it is near the wedding day so I will be too busy to do anything.

Yet, she had the cheek to ask me if my mum needed make up. The truth is my mum hated H from the start especially because of her attitude. Not to mention the poor quality of make up base she uses which is unsuitable for my skin, making my skin look scaly and also the limited choice of lip stick colors.


The best part is the message below where she says that the make up is from 4am to 5am.
So it is just 1 hour of make up.
I am saying this because, according to the contract, I have to pay her additional $30 for every hour of make up before 7am.
My original request was 6am. This means I have to pay her $30. And because she comes at 4am to 5am, I would expect her to charge me, well one hour of make up time, which should be $30.

But right before my make up, she charged me an extra of $60 for the early timing.
Total daylight robbery in line with the Seletar Broadway overcharging tactics.



   The night before my wedding, I still acted nice to H in a last attempt to change to a better timing. But no avail. And judging from the numerous client she gets every day, it is sad that many brides are unfairly charged and taken advantage on their wedding day.


So for all those precious brides out there who still have a chance to better their experience, I have some advice to offer based on my reflection of my experience with Seletar Broadway.

You can refer to my post on 

How to Make the Best of A Pre-Wedding Bridal Package



All text and image files and other content on this website is the property of the seventeenthstorey and protected by copyright. Copyrights and other proprietary rights in the content on this website may also be owned by individuals and entities other than, and in addition to, seventeenthstorey. Seventeenthstorey expressly prohibits the copying of any protected materials on this website.

2 comments:

  1. SB also ruin my pre wedding photos. The photos look bad enough and they photoshop till I look so plum. I am so worried for AD. Feel like asking for refund. Would case letter really help? Regret regret.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA. The picture is indeed very funny.

    ReplyDelete